1. Lowest fees
  2. Maximum refund
  3. Tax agent member of Institute of Chartered Accountants – the Premium Accounting Body
  4. Quick & stress free refunds
  5. Email & text notifications of all progress & when your money is in your account


Q. What is the Australian financial year?
A. From 1st July to the following 30th June.

Q. Do I have to work a full financial year to claim refund of tax?
A. No. You can claim it for any duration of work.

Q. Can I apply for my refund of tax now for the current financial year if I have finished working and am leaving or have left Australia?
A. Yes.

Q. I haven’t done my tax returns for many years. Can I still apply for tax refunds for previous years?
A. Yes.

Q. When can I lodge my tax return?
A. Most temporary residents can lodge their tax returns at the end of the financial year, and also when you have finished work and are about to leave Australia.

Q. How will I get the funds?
A. Usually you will either receive the funds transferred to an Australian bank account or to your nominated overseas bank account.

Q. For what period should I keep my tax and financial records?
A. You should keep your tax records by financial years for a minimum period of 5 years from the date of the lodgement of your tax return and a minimum of 7 years for other financial records.

Q. How can I conveniently keep all my payslips and deductible receipts for each financial year?
A. Scan & email your payslips and deductible receipts to yourself and keep in a public folder by financial year. Have your paperwork for the current year sent to  & we’ll store it for you to make it easier.

Q. Does the timing of when I cease my employment affect the tax my employer will withhold?
A. Yes, you could receive hundreds of dollars more in tax refund where you say arrive in Australia on the last day or you leave on the first day, of a month.

Q. Will I be taxed on my investments or assets in Australia and overseas?
A. If you are classified as a Temporary Resident you will not be taxed on gains of certain assets in Australia. Please contact us so we can advise you on this and a whole lot more.

Q. Do I have to prove my tax residency?
A. Not if you are an Australian or a permanent resident for immigration purposes earning income in Australia while living here. If you are other than that you must make a self assessment. We have a Residency Checklist to assist and recommend that temporary residents make an assessment. Generally, 457 sponsored business visa holders are seen to be residents for tax purposes.

Q. What tax refund amount can I expect back?
A. This depends on the amount you earned:

Q. Do I have to wait until I go home to lodge my tax return and will I get a larger refund this way? Do I have to wait until the end of financial year to lodge a tax return?
A. No and no. Most working holiday makers can lodge their tax return at the end of the financial year, and also when you have finished work and are about to leave Australia.

Q. Why do I need a Tax File Number (TFN)?
A. If you do not have a Tax File Number your employer will tax you at 48% of your gross weekly earnings instead of 29% for some income levels.

Q. How do I apply for a Tax File Number?
A. You can apply directly to the ATO online via their website  through the following links given below:

Q. What is a Tax File Number Declaration?
A. Once you find a job, your employer requires you to complete a Tax File Number Declaration, where you disclose your residency status & Tax File Number in order to allow your employer to avoid taking out the higher rate of tax.

Q. How much should I be taxed?
A. If you decide you are a non-resident for tax purposes rather than a resident on your TFN Declaration you will not receive the tax free threshold and lower initial rates but will taxed at 29% from the first dollar you earn.

Q. What is a PAYG Payment Summary/Group Certificate?
A. A PAYG Payment Summary/Group Certificate summarizes all the Pay As You Go income tax that was withheld from your pay during the financial year. It is given to you by your employer either within 14 days after the close of the financial year or when you cease employment, whichever occurs first. It is also sometimes called a group certificate and if you're from UK or Ireland, it's called a P45.

Q. What happens when I don’t have my PAYG?
A. To arrange for an end of financial year return, even when you don’t have a PAYG Payment Summary, we can still lodge your tax return using your final payslip for that financial year from your employer. It must clearly show your year-to-date gross earnings and tax paid.

Q. How long does it take to receive the money?
A. Usually, it takes an average of two weeks for the tax office to process that return and return the funds.

Q. I have lodged my tax return and was told I owe money! Can you help?
A. Your tax return may have been lodged incorrectly. Mistakes can often be made when lodging tax returns. We can lodge an amended return for you. Contact us today for advice.

Q. Why is my tax refund a lot less than other people in my situation?
A. This could be due to a mistake when lodging your return. Contact us today for advice.

Q. What is a Statement of Earnings?
A. It is an informal letter setting out the same details which you would find on your PAYG Payment Summary. It is used where a Summary is not available, due to being lost, in error or not available in time, in order for you to do your tax return early. The Statement of Earnings must be on the Employers letterhead with the following details:

  1. Employer's Name and ABN (Australian Business Number)
  2. Employer's Address
  3. Employee's Name
  4. Employee's TFN (Tax File Number)
  5. Period of Employment
  6. Gross Earnings for the Period
  7. Any Taxable Allowances not included in Gross earnings
  8. Tax withheld
  9. Name and signature of the authorized employer representative
A sample is available to our clients in the password protected client infonet at the bottom of our Home page that is made available to you as a client.

Q: What is a Payroll Advice or Pay Slip?
A. It will normally have the following details:

Q. What is salary packaging?
A. Salary packaging is the process of choosing tax advantaged components that you may qualify for your remuneration. This is done in conjunction with your employer. Be sure to contact us to take advantage of our Salary Packaging service in order to maximize your disposable income.

Q. What are some of the components?
A. The components may include motor vehicle expenses, reimbursement of tax deductible expenses and a Living Away From Home Allowance to name but a few.

Q. What is Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA)?
A. It is a tax free allowance to compensate you for the cost of having to live away from your normal residence in order to perform your work. We ensure you comply in accordance with the special guidelines made available to use by the Australian Taxation Office.

Q. What are the advantages of using freespirit tax refunds?
A. Click here to see the advantages of using freespirit tax refunds.

Q.  What is the latest date for lodging my tax return after the end of the financial year on 30th June?
A. The latest date is the 31st of October unless you have appointed a tax agent prior to that date. If you have, then you normally have extensions into the next calendar year.

Q.  What is the tax penalty if you lodge late even though you are in refund?
A. $110 per month up to a maximum of 5 months

Q. What are our Fees?
A. With a standard $300 deduction, Past year tax return $150. Current year tax return $175.
Amendment to correct previously lodged return with incorrect or insufficient data $220.(GST must be added)

To know more about the service